Epic cycle ride undertaken by unfit, overweight, not middled aged lady

I visited Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos in 2002. One of the things that really struck me about the countries was the indefatigable people, the welcome extended to visitors and the simple joy taken in small pleasures. But, having visited the Museum of the American War in Ho Chi Minh City, seen the 'Danger UXB' signs in Laos and read the good news headline in a paper in Cambodia: ' Deaths from UXBs down to 3 this month. Only 40 maimed.' I was acutely aware of the toll still being taken on the population.

Over the years I have pondered the munitions still there and this year I have finally decided to get off my bottom and do something. So I have, somewhat impetuously and with little regard for my physical fitness, cycling ability or dodgy left knee decided to join the MAG cycle ride from Ho Chi Minh City to Ankor Wat. I will be doing this the first week or so in Feb 2011 and it does involve a couple of days of over 100km in 30 degree heat. Having signed up I have been told that neither a rickshaw nor an electric bikes are options and that doing the distance on my own pedals is expected.

Donation link is further down on the right - I have paid for my own flights and contributed enough to cover living expenses so all money raised from sponsorship will go to MAG.

This is my blog of my progress to get on the road and when I am there - assuming I will be capable of rational thought after a day of unaccustomed exercise.

Thursday 2 September 2010

First corporate sponsor and more training

Boat going through Hardmead lock
Not feeling particularly motivated this morning and had to give myself a bit of a talking to. Conversation was short but productive: 'Woman, if you cannot get your bottom on the bike when the sun is shining what an earth are you going to do when you need to be out 5 times a week in December?'. 'Good point, well made' . Off I toddled. 

I was also spurred on since my first corporate sponsorship has been offered this morning so chickening out is definitely not an option. We are still sorting out the paperwork so I can't post who as yet but once I have signed up and handed this over expect a logo and weblink to some nice people. There will also be a few photos of me (which I have to say I am never keen on) sporting some interesting gear that is going to mean that the Hertford locals no longer have to look out for a sweaty woman biking down the canal in scruffy t shirts who has to stop every 10 mins to wipe her face. BTW - just a quick tip on this - if you are wearing a black, reasonably new, denim shirt do not use this for said face wiping as you end up looking a bit grey and your hubby gets worried when you get back.

Not a long ride today as will be moving up a gear next week and trying for three rides per week following up from the two per week I have been doing. Those of you following my blog, don't panic. Blog updates will stay at about 2 per week and not after every training session :-)

The haul of crayfish
Fishing near Wear Lock

 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment