Epic cycle ride undertaken by unfit, overweight, not middled aged lady

I visited Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos in 2002. One of the things that really struck me about the countries was the indefatigable people, the welcome extended to visitors and the simple joy taken in small pleasures. But, having visited the Museum of the American War in Ho Chi Minh City, seen the 'Danger UXB' signs in Laos and read the good news headline in a paper in Cambodia: ' Deaths from UXBs down to 3 this month. Only 40 maimed.' I was acutely aware of the toll still being taken on the population.

Over the years I have pondered the munitions still there and this year I have finally decided to get off my bottom and do something. So I have, somewhat impetuously and with little regard for my physical fitness, cycling ability or dodgy left knee decided to join the MAG cycle ride from Ho Chi Minh City to Ankor Wat. I will be doing this the first week or so in Feb 2011 and it does involve a couple of days of over 100km in 30 degree heat. Having signed up I have been told that neither a rickshaw nor an electric bikes are options and that doing the distance on my own pedals is expected.

Donation link is further down on the right - I have paid for my own flights and contributed enough to cover living expenses so all money raised from sponsorship will go to MAG.

This is my blog of my progress to get on the road and when I am there - assuming I will be capable of rational thought after a day of unaccustomed exercise.

Sunday 14 November 2010

Completely inspired....

Presentation
Podged up to Manchester on Saturday for a MAG briefing and was surprised to be on the train meeting the oldest person on this years cycle ride who happened to have booked the seat next to me. Coincidence is a funny thing!

Lunch is Served
As Vito appears to have little shame she went round keeping a book on what age everyone is and there is a span from 22 to 73... I was just relieved that there was someone doing it who was older than me as I thought I would be surrounded by young, fit, cycling blokes.... In fact I was rather looking forward to it :-)

There was a number fitting that description but I was relieved to see that I am probably average age for the group. I am also not the only one whose training is not going well as there were a few who aren't getting as far as me including the chap who hasn't actually got on his bike as yet.

The  briefing did bring it home to me that it was actually going to happen and I do need to step up a gear on the training although praise be that they showed the profile of all the hills and there is nothing over 20 metres to climb...

Talking brass tacks (and sore bottoms)
Training this week has not gone badly - the Thursday ride was a little truncated due to gale force winds (I may be mad to decide to do this challenge but I am  not completely insane) so I ended up on the exercise bike doing 16 miles - the longest yet. Today has been 7 miles so far but intend to do a few more after finishing the blog as I got diverted this afternoon by more important stuff - I went shopping for clothes for the event. After several hours at the Galleria I now have various travel shirts, zippy trousers and some padded legging things - plus a cycle helmet as they have been quite clear on the fact that I cannot ride without it. Bah.

Not quite got round to actually purchasing the cycling shorts yet as am still mentally scarred from the sight of myself in spandex from the '80s but I think it will have to be done.... maybe over Christmas....I did work out that I needed to buy ladies cycling shorts as the gents are not anatomically padded to fit someone of my - ahem - stature....

That's about it

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment